Sunday, October 5, 2008

Up On The Roof And Just Listening To Your Song


I cannot get over Mark Mulcahy. I've been on the hunt for his music since two summers ago after massively bingeing on The Adventures of Pete and Pete with my little brother. The first one I found was Polaris, because they were all I cared about at that point, and they did most of the P&P soundtrack . They only did P&P, and were really just a side project for Miracle Legion.

I was frantically searching for 'Waiting For October', a song about a crazy guy screaming about how the world would end Oct. 28, 1999. The song was usually featured as a closing song that ran during the credits, but it was one of those songs that makes you restless. So restless that you want to run outside (no matter what time of day) and do something.  In short, I think I'd get a lot more accomplished if the soundtrack to P&P was the soundtrack to my life. If 'Waiting For October' or 'Coronado II' was the sound of my alarm clock, I wouldn't be annoyed by waking up.

Next in line was Miracle Legion, equally as fantastic as Polaris, and almost the exact same band. Miracle Legion was Polaris+Mr. Ray Neal. Their discography is a little hard to get my hands on because of complications with their record label going bankrupt. So far, the only albums I have of theirs are Drenched and Me and Mr. Ray. These give me some P&P flashbacks, even though they weren't ever used on the show. Similarly to Polaris, Miracle Legion captures that end of summer feeling, walking alone on the first cold night of fall, and the nostalgia of childhood. 

I just recently got my hands on some of Mark Mulcahy's solo music. In Pursuit of Your Happiness reminds me the most of Polaris, and makes me want to move to Connecticut for the fall.



So if you didn't know before, now you know. If there is a band that you feel like this toward, let me know. But chances are that I'll be too focused on my own obsession to notice yours.

1 comment:

Nathan Vollmar said...

I did the same thing a few years ago. Being reunited with Pete and Pete on Nogin after years of wishing i had just taped them off the tv while I still could. I searched in vain for the Pete & Pete soundtrack and then finding Me & Mr. Ray, which I subsequently lost, if you have a copy I can copy that would be much appreciated. I haven't ventured far into Mark Mulcahy, but I totally understand the obsession.

I was around. Nobody knows, nobody knows.